Gummy smile surgery will cost patients anywhere from $300 to as much as $8,000 for the entire procedure. However, it should be noted that cases that require multiple visits and procedures could cost considerably more. As with other types of dental treatments and procedures, the cost will depend on the particular situation at hand, the doctor or surgeon is used and even the location of the dental office.
Gummy Smile Surgery is used primarily to help correct a person’s smile by effectively hiding the gums through a surgical procedure. This method is commonly used because some patients have a smile that reveals a significant amount of gum surface area. Excessive gums showing can have a direct effect on the aesthetics of a smile and can draw attention to an individual causing self-esteem and self-confidence related issues. Most consider excessive gum exposure when smiling to be unattractive and unnatural in appearance. That is why a gummy smile correction procedure is frequently recommended. That said let’s take a look at the cost of gummy smile surgery in 2020.
Does Dental Insurance Cover Gummy Smile Surgery Cost?
The procedure is considered to be cosmetic in nature and as such may not be covered by a patient’s insurance. While there may be some exceptions to the rule such as when surgery is required to correct an injury that is the result of an accident, patients should talk with their dental care provider and their insurance company for further specifics.
As previously mentioned, the cost of gummy smile surgery can be expected to range between $300 and $8000 depending on the amount of surgical work involved and the overall complexity of the case. Patients can expect certain things to be included with surgery. Let’s take a look at what is normally inclusive and what can be expected in standard gummy smile surgery.
- The cost of this type of surgery will usually include a variety of doctor’s fees. Itemized items involved with this surgery may include consultations, initial patient assessment, required follow-up visits, local or general anesthesia, hospital, and facility fees as well as surgical care fees and post-operative treatment-related fees.
- In most cases, an oral surgeon or periodontist will perform gummy smile surgery.
- The patient can expect a specialist to review their case during the initial consultation and then provide a comprehensive treatment plan. In almost every case, there is no cost involved with initial consultation even if no surgery is ever performed.
- The actual procedure involves the surgeon making a small incision inside the upper gum so that it can be placed in a lower position along the gum line. In most cases, this type of surgery is performed in an outpatient setting and can be completed in about an hour.
- Ultimately, the goal and objective of this type of surgical procedure are to correct what would otherwise be a gummy smile where a major portion of the gum is exposed when the patient smiles.
Are There Any Extra Costs Involved in Gummy Smile Surgery?
When it comes to gummy smile surgery, there may be additional costs involved depending on the complexity of the case at hand. This can include additional costs for medication, extended treatment and multiple follow-up visits as required. If there are any unanticipated complications following surgery, however rare, there may be additional costs involved. Also, there may be added costs associated with other procedures that must be performed following standard gummy smile surgery.
A successful gummy smile surgery can significantly improve one’s quality of life, self-esteem, and self-confidence. Those who have experienced self-esteem issues in the past will find a new sense of personal self-image by having gummy smile surgery performed.
Patients should always follow the surgeon’s advice and recommendations during post-surgery as a way to avoid problems or any unanticipated complications. The doctor may require a liquid diet for the first few days as a way to protect the site of the surgery. After the first few days, the surgeon may advise the patient to limit themselves to a diet of soft foods. This is also intended to protect the surgical site. In most instances, a normal food diet can resume after about five days. Many patients return to work or school in as little as one day following surgery. This information should help patients understand the costs involved with gummy smile surgery as well as what to expect and how best to proceed with this kind of beneficial dental treatment.
- Benefits Of Bone Grafting
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction: What Should You Expect?
- Bone Augmentation For Dental Implants
- Bone Graft for Dental Implants: Understanding the Possibility
- What is Alveoloplasty?
- why would my dentist refer me to a periodontist?
- What you need to know about Omega Dental Specialists Implant Center